Saturday, February 19, 2011

Progress on the Display Board

Over the last week or two I've been putting in work on the display board project. Having "sculpted" the temple floor from foam board, I next turned to desecrating the place. After all, the army that will be on display here is the Harrowed, right? Since the army is meant to be a corrupted IG regiment, I wanted the setting to tell some of that story.

Accordingly, I sculpted in tendrils infesting the Aquila.

Corrupting the temple ruins, display board WI

Working greenstuff into the foam was tricky, as I couldn't press too hard into the foam without crushing it out of shape. Eventually I got the hang of a workable technique.

In the center of the Aquila I modeled an eye of chaos -- conjuring (I hoped) a malignant cthonic intelligence gaining daemonic sway over the temple's spiritual energies.

Corrupting the temple ruins, display board WIP

To help the bases of my figures blend in with the terrain, I sprinkled and glued on some patches of rubble.

Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

Also, to help frame the scene, I put a pillar at each corner, each one twisting unnaturally toward the center. (The pillars were cast in resin, then immersed in hot water and bent carefully.)

Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

To prepare for painting, I coated the temple floor heavily and thoroughly with three coats of watered down PVA (so that the foam would not dissolve when I spray painted it). This helped toughen up the "skin" of the display board. To further strengthen it, I sprayed on a coat of matte finish before I painted it.

Then I primed the board and painted on a coat of grey (with some sand sprinkled in for some texture), then washed and drybrushed the floor parts. A bit of touch up with a brush here and there on the stone work, and I ended up with:

Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

To help set off the Aquila, I painted that in shades of grays mixed with a few drops of Gore Red, and lightly traced a marble effect with tiny brushstrokes of light gray.

Then I painted the daemonic tendrils in shades of blue working up to icy white.

Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

(As you can see here, I also ended up magnetizing the four corner pillars, since they kept coming off, even after I hot-glued and pinned them.)

The tendril painting still needs work, but it's beginning to evoke the effect I hoped for:
Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

Meanwhile, I decided (after priming the pillars -- doh!) that I wanted to sculpt some tendrils into the pillars as well:

Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

Some other views from other angles:
Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

and

Display Board, Harrowed, Terrain

So, that's where I am so far. Getting close....

2 comments:

  1. Niiiiiiice. Adding tendrils to the warped columns really ties the room together. I like the way the board mirrors the army it will show off, too: It's not just a gray board with some texture and a gold plaque with the army name on it, it's actually a desecrated Imperial shrine. Obviously a lot of work, but it really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yeah, I do want the setting to be in "theme" with the army, but not to distract attention from figures themselves.

    ReplyDelete