I'm starting yet another daemon prince conversion. Based, once again, on an IG sentinel.
I can't help myself!
Seriously, though, the model that I use for my Nurgle-marked daemon prince, this one...
(since re-painted in more Nurgly colors).
Well, I've never liked it as much as the others. Too top-heavy, too cluttered, too spindly in the legs. It was my first piece for this army, it spawned a lot of ideas and making it taught me a lot, but I think I can do better now that I've had more practice.
I started with Sentinel legs, pinning them to the base, since in my experience, that is where they tend to break -- and since I've clipped off a lot of the Sentinel feet.
Then I took a fire-starter to the sentinel cabin, warping it a bit and while the plastic was soft, poking open a mouth-like aperture.
Actually, the "mouth" came out better than I expected, and I was tempted to work it into a proper maw with teeth. But in the end I decided to go with my first idea, which was to put a tusk/horn there (since this will be a Nurgle Prince).
Then I glued the cabin/head onto the legs, giving the beast a cocked, bent pose to suggest that it's goring prey with its horn.
At this point I decided that the horn looked too small...
…so I built it up and textured it with greenstuff.
The texture on the horn turned out a bit rougher than I intended, and I've since cleaned it up a bit -- though I do want it somewhat rough and lined.
Pulling back, I have to say I really like the pose this one is striking:
It feels very "alive" and beast-like, to me at least.
Here's a look at the creature from behind:
Needless to say, there's still a long way to go on the creature -- and a lot more greenstuff to splice/weave/graft in! Never fear, it will become much more monstrous, more noxious as its unholy transformation continues.
Wheee! I love this stuff. Sometimes it's hard to bring myself to follow through on the painting, but I really enjoy this stage of a project!
More to come on this...